I. Position Information
Job code title: Programme Analyst
Pre-classified Grade: ICS-8
Supervisor: Assistant Resident Representative (Programme) or Programme Specialist
II. Organizational Context
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the ARR(P) or Programme Specialist, the Programme Analyst analyzes political, social and economic trends and participates in the formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within a portfolio.
The Programme Analyst can supervise and lead programme support staff. The Programme Analyst works in close collaboration with the CO Management Support and Business Development, Programme and Operations teams, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff.
III. Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of key functions:
- Implementation of programme strategies
- Management of the CO programme
- Creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy
- Provision of top quality advisory services to the Government and facilitation of knowledge building and management
The functions/duties/ key results of this job description are generic and should be adapted according to practice area specialization.
- Ensures implementation of programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP and other documents.
- Analysis and synthesis of proposals on the areas for support and interventions within the practice area specialization assigned.
- Participates in effective management of the CO programme within the practice area specialization assigned focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme achieving the following results:
- Design and formulation of some parts of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions.
- Initiation of a project, presentation of the project to PAC), finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review. Programme Analyst performs functions of Manager Level 1 in Atlas for POs and vouchers approval (if authorized by SM), participates in recruitment processes for projects.
- Application of conceptual models in support of programme design
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in audit of NEX projects.
- Preparation of inputs for reporting, including donor reporting.
3. Supports creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
4. Provides top quality advisory services to the Government and ensures facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification of sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country policy goals.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of training for the operations/ projects staff on programme issues.
- Professional growth through active learning.
IV. Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the success of country programme within specific areas of cooperation. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets.
V. Competencies and Critical Success Factors
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.2: Ppreparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Building Strategic Partnerships
Levle 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.2: Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Level 1.2: Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.2: Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Prince2 training and certification, RMG
VI. Recruitment Qualifications
Master’s Degree or equivalent in political or social sciences or related field.
Up to 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services and hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects. Experience in the use of computers and office software packages and handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in English and Azerbaijani
How to apply:
Please follow the link to apply for this position: